If you’ve been with me for a while, you might have seen this post from last year where I reviewed my Plum Paper Planner. Now, I’ve tried A LOT of planners over the years! So I want to start this post off by saying that this is the FIRST time that I have ever ordered a planner for a second time! I am seriously in love with Plum Paper and I am so excited to share with you why!
I have a lot of techniques I use to work on improving my fitness, but very few of them matter as much as my planner does! Okay…meal prep does, but I think you already know that! :-p But even for meal prep, my planner helps so much. It is one of the main things that is with me almost all of the time and I use it every day.
But before I get too far into my Plum Paper Planner love (obsession), here are my tips for planning for your fitness!
My Top 5 Tips for Planning for Your Fitness
- Get specific. This goes for what workout you are doing on what day and for writing down your fitness goals!
- Set aside time. Every Sunday night I go through and plan out my upcoming week. I specifically focus on what workouts I’m doing, what time I’m doing them and what (if any) other appointments I have coming up. This lets me make sure that I have enough time set aside for my workouts and work around any scheduling conflicts I might have.
- Track your progress. This year I have also been trying to do better at tracking when I workout and what I did. I think this is going to be really helpful in letting me see where I’m making progress! I’ve already seen it some just in recording what weight I used for specific lifts and how those have increased over time.
- Forgive yourself. Some weeks you are going to have everything scheduled out great and it’s just not going to happen. Some week’s are like that! My week last week was going great for the first half of the week, but when my back started acting up later on in the week…well, those workouts definitely didn’t get done! I just cross them out and move on.
- Check your planner! This might seem like it doesn’t need saying, but it really does. I’ve seen so many people be great at planning out their week, but then they don’t actually USE their planner as the week goes on. So make sure to have yours where you will actually use it and check it regularly. I check mine at least 2-3 times a day and most days it’s more than that!
These might seem simple, but they take hard work to put into practice. But I promise, if you give it some time and effort, planning for your fitness will help your progress so much!
Ok, now on to what I’ve been so excited to share with you….my review of my Plum Paper Planner for this year!! I made a few changes to the layout and design this year and I’m very happy I did so! There is one section that I will probably change up again next year, but overall I think these changes are working great!
Plum Paper: The Design
Before I jump into the features, can we just talk about how pretty Plum Paper Planners are? Seriously guys, they are gorgeous. There are so many cover options! With a ton of different styles and cover options, they are sure to have one that fits you. Plus you can personalize the cover too! And new to this year, they have added a protective plastic cover sheet to go over the covers. While the covers are durable on their own, this feature is a definite improvement on last year.
The Features: Monthly and Weekly
For the main planner section, there are a few features I really love.
- Each month starts with a “Monthly Highlights” page. I use this one to track upcoming events: a show I am set to sell at, trips, and birthdays mostly. But the part that I really love are the 3 goal circles at the top. This really helps me focus in on how many goals I’m setting each month. I’ve also decided to designate that each month gets one goal for personal, another for my jewelry business and the last one for the blog. This really helps me not get too overwhelmed in any one area.
- In the weekly layout, you are able to customize the sections to say whatever you want! I love this, because this works so much better for me than many other planner options out there. These changed quite a bit from last year’s, as I noticed over time that certain ones weren’t really being used. This year’s sections are Home, Fitness, Appointments, Blog, Jewelry, Social Media, and Goal Work. I have to admit, I will probably change up the Goal Work one for next year. Not sure what it will be yet, but it’s just not getting used much.
- There are also a lot of “Add-in” options you can put into your planner! This year, I put in 1 Notes section, a Bill Tracker, and a Checklist Page to the end of each month.
That these features are able to be so customized is a huge plus to me! I love being able to see, at a glance, what section needs to be my focus right now. It also has been helping me to maintain a little more balance in my life! I can see more easily when I’m starting to overload any particular area. Whether it’s my blog, my business or even my fitness, I’m able to adjust as needed!
Planner Add-On Sections
Another thing I love about Plum Paper is their option to add on entire sections to your planner! The weekly layouts are fantastic and definitely get used the most, but sometimes you need to get focused on a specific area. These sections are great for that! This year I added on 2: a Fitness section and a Blog section.
I did have the Blog section last year. I have to admit, I didn’t use it as much as I hoped I would. But that was more me than the planner! So I got it again this year and I am loving it! Not only am I using it more, but they made some changes to it that work great. You can now easily track your blog and social stats month-to-month in a handy chart. This is a feature I had wished for last year!
The new section for me this year is the Fitness section. I was actually a little skeptical about adding on this one. I wasn’t sure that I would use it, especially since I had a whole section of my weekly layout devoted to fitness. Wow, was I wrong!! I use this section on a daily basis and am finding it SO helpful! Being able to write down my monthly fitness goals, the plan, and record any highs and lows from the month is great. And I love being able to see all that info in one place.
There is one thing about that section that I’m not very happy with. While I am using it to track my workouts and what I’m lifting each day, the space to do it is pretty small. I’m not sure how this would work in the overall layout, but I wish they had increased the space where you put in the daily exercise. Some of my days have kinda overflowed, and that is even with me writing pretty tiny! It works great for days where I am just writing down a few things. But when I get more specific, it gets a little cramped.
But even with that, I am getting so much use out of the workout tracking page! That is especially true this month. I think I’ve talked a little on here about starting a fitness challenge this month. Well, I have been using it to write down what workout I do what day and what weight I used. Being able to see the progression in weights is so uplifting!
I have also been using that same section in another way too. I have been tracking macros (or trying to) for a couple of months now. It can be hard to know how you are doing on an overall basis without going back through the journals for each day. Well, with my tracking page, now I can! If I hit my macros for the day, I just highlight the date! I’m pretty excited about doing it this way. Now, at the end of the month I can easily see how I did overall at just a glance!
So, now that you have learned ALL about my planner obsession and the awesomeness that is Plum Paper Planners, I have something for you! From now until April 30, 2017 you can use the code NYMPH10 to receive 10% any order! And since you can order your planner to start on any month, you can get one that you will be able to use right away! I definitely recommend checking them out. Plum Paper is the only planner I will use!
How do you go about planning your week and month? Have you tried out a paper planner recently? I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment below!