With the topics over the last couple of weeks, is it any surprise that I want to talk to you about maintaining balance? It can be frightfully easy to lose balance and focus in your life. And once lost, it can be so hard to get it back in place! It is a way of thinking and going through your daily life….thoughtful, focused and with intention.
In our day-to-day life, it is easy to lose that intentionality. Instead, we go through the motions, allowing whatever grabs our focus or is the more immediate need to take over. It’s understandable – you see something that needs to be done, you want to get that thing done.
In that way, it was easy for me to get so focused on my business and the week-to-week craziness that was my first holiday season. It became the overwhelming priority, taking away time from sleep, my fitness routine, house care, dates, pretty much everything!
As I teetered on the edge of massive burnout this past few months, I realized that I couldn’t continue like this. After all, what is building all of this worth if I’m too exhausted to enjoy any of it!? Sadly, I was so deep in the market season at that point that it was all I could do to push through and get through it…vowing that I would make major changes for 2018.
So now, I want to share these changes with you! While I know that all of our situations are unique, I hope that maybe some of my changes, boundaries and strategies can help you obtain more balance in your own life.
How I Plan to Maintain Balance in 2018
- Unless sick, I will work out a minimum of 3 times a week.
- While I want to aim for 6, this allows for my work schedule and also some more flexibility once market season starts up again.
- I’m not to be in my studio past 11:30 on a workday. This means that there are a few days a week I can’t really be in the studio due to my work schedule, but it will make sure I’m getting more down time and the needed amount of sleep!
- On that note, I created a second studio in my basement so that my jewelry creating is done in the studio instead of our living room. That gives me some more separation and allows me to actually be done for the day!
- Schedule out each week in advance, including activities that I will enjoy (activities that in the past I have been really bad about making time for)
- and making sure I pay attention to how long tasks will take!
- Doing at least one fun non-businessy social activity a month.
- This can be an outing with Women on Adventures in Des Moines, dinner with a friend, etc. Something to recharge my energy and get me away from work.
- 1 date night per month.
- Now, this sounds like a small amount, but honestly, Draz and I are together all the time. And my schedule is nuts. Any more than that is unlikely to actually occur and sadly it’s still more than we did most of this year.
Now, there are other things that I’m sure will come up throughout the year. But hopefully, these things will allow me to maintain a bit more balance in my life. As you see, these things are really specific to my life and how my life gets out of balance. So when figuring these out for yourself, it’s important to really take a hard look at your own life!
Where is Your Life Out of Balance?
- What do you spend most of your time on?
- Do you find yourself wishing for something often? (social outings, dates, me time, etc)
- Do you deal with burn-out often? Is it centered around something specific?
- Are you wasting time mindlessly? (like, in my case, mindlessly watching something during my downtime instead of choosing something I will truly enjoy)
- Do you find yourself constantly overwhelmed? Is there are common thread in that overwhelm?
These are just some questions to get you started, but I hope you can use them to help you maintain more balance in 2018 and beyond!
Is balance something you struggle with in your own life? I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment below or shoot me an email!