I can’t believe I’m turning 31 today! As always, my birthday tends to make me reflect on my life, both as it is and as I want it to be. If anything, all the changes of this past year have made me do that even more for this birthday! So, I hope you will bear with me today….I really want to share some of these reflections with you!
- All the things are you are working towards in life don’t matter if you forget to enjoy your life along the way.
- No matter where you feel like you are at in life, you aren’t behind. You are right where you should be.
- Experiences are so much more meaningful than things, pretty much every time.
- Taking time for yourself is not selfish.
- Good food matters – and that includes both healthy and less-healthy foods.
- Adult friendships are hard to maintain – put the work in. It’s worth it.
- Be vulnerable. It may be terrifying sometimes, but it will bring you the best in life.
- Never stop learning, even if there is no point to it other than you find it interesting.
- Enjoy the moment, for as many moments as possible.
- Along those same lines, try to stay in the moment as often as possible. Too often our brains move on to the next item on our “to-do” list.
- You very rarely don’t have time for a hug.
- Balance in life is key. You can’t always do all the things.
- Even when you are saving for something important, not everything has to be for that. You can indulge occasionally.
- Admitting you need a rest day or a self-care day is not weakness or a failure.
- Learning the difference between making excuses for yourself and actual reasons takes practice. The differences aren’t always clear.
- Forgive yourself. Holding on to mistakes from years ago doesn’t help you or those you may have hurt.
- Apologize when you mess up. Let go of that pride and give a real honest apology.
- Love what you love and don’t apologize for that.
- Try the new things that scare you.
- Set realistic goals. Dreaming big is fun, but setting massive crazy goals isn’t fair to yourself.
That’s what I have right now! Part of me wants to get this list to “31” but honestly, these are the thoughts that have been going through my mind lately. 30 was kind of a crazy year for me in the best way and I am so excited to see what this year brings!
Any thoughts on my reflections? Or reflections of your own you’ve had along the way? I would love to hear them!
Last month I had the honor of hearing Todd Durkin speak a couple of times at IdeaWorld. Now, I’ve talked a couple of times about my experiences at the conference already here on the blog. But I’ve had this really on my mind and I want to share it with you!
“Life is not a marathon. Life is a series of sprints and recoveries.”
This was something said by Todd Durkin during his keynote address to BlogFest. It resonated with me then and has been on my mind ever since. I can get caught up in the marathon mentality pretty easily. There is always more I should be doing and I just have to keep working at it, right?! Sound familiar?
This mentality has been something I’ve struggled with for a long time, but the past couple of years have really highlighted it. And I will be honest…I think it’s at least part of the reason that I have had so many health issues the past year. I always want to push harder, longer, do more. So when I got back from the conference, all that energy wanted to go into working more, even has I said that I was going to try to stay more balanced!
Well, my plans for the past month and all I wanted to work on and do kinda fell apart. My body had other plans, leading to me getting sick twice within 3 weeks and just overall struggling to keep up with my basic responsibilities! But as I’ve been recovering, this idea of sprints and recoveries really has just been repeating in my head. In the past, any time that I have been sick or unable to make progress for a while, I have gotten overwhelmed and stressed with the idea of all the things I wasn’t doing.
But what if I view this time as a recovery? What if instead of getting stressed and overwhelmed, I view it as time to get ready for that next hard sprint?
So this is what I’m trying to do now. To be kinder to myself and hopefully view things with more understanding. Life isn’t a marathon….I don’t always have to be ON and neither do you! So if this resonates with you…if this is something that you have struggled with too, I hope this helps you make that mentality shift.
Are you ready for your next sprint?!
If you want to join in with me on this next sprint, one way to do that is by joining on on the #AssOffTheCouch September Challenge from Couch to Active! There will be a ton of awesome prizes being given out and it will be a lot of fun! The challenge starts September 1st (TOMORROW) so don’t wait! Use the code 7022smus to get 30% off your registration, bringing the price down to $11.90! Register here